Take One: A Gifting Performance: Agenda
For three sevenhour shifts on March 9th, 10th, and 11th, at the Pool Art Fair in New York City, I performed "Take One: A Gifting Performance." In the performance, I offered to inscribe the first names of fair visitors in my Englyph writing system using a set of custom laser cut plexiglas stencils that feature the system's alphabetical glyphs.
Over the course of the Fair, I inscribed one hundred and thirty (130) names. I developed a routine, detailed below:
- Greet room visitor
- Introduce visitor to the Englyph writing system, as embodied in the work on display
- Describe the Take One performance to the visitor
- Ask visitor if she would like to receive a gift
- If the visitor accepts, ask her to spell her name clearly
- Write the visitor's name backwards on a sheet of paper to ensure correct spelling, ordering and centering of nested Englyph glyphs
- Obtain a blank postcard
- Inscribe the visitor's name in Englyph using the appropriate stencils
- Sign finished postcard with Englyph name inscription
- Offer finished postcard to visitor
- Note to visitor that the reverse of inscribed postcard features an invitation to a forthcoming exhibition in New York City.
Tim Roseborough, March 2012